Monday, January 03, 2005

Not a Capital Offense—For ONE


"...sleep, that knits up the raveled sleeve of care..."

This post was almost over at Third World County, but... ...as I was about to go all curmudgeonly over this morning, I realized something. Let me backtrack a bit. I have often said that waking someone unnecessarily isn't a capital offense, the first time. (Not really so much in jest: I once physically threw a college room mate out cos he thought I was kidding... ) This morning, about 30 minutes earlier than necessary (or really, useful) I was wakened. Um, unnecessarily.

Have I mentioned that I'm not a good waker? A couple of cups of coffee and I'm nearly human. Being wakened unnecessarily, in the middle of a dream cycle, is ordinarily a solid way to assure a grumpy morning. And I was certainly ready to be grumpy.

But then... I have someone to wake me. Now, that's a joy. I very nearly missed out on that the last six of our twenty-six years together, since she more than very nearly didn't make it past October 4, 1998. So, if I have to suffer through an occasional loss of sleep, it's a small price to pay in order to have her here to wake me (
unnecessarily or not).

So, one of my rules for living has fallen captive to love. [heh] Oh, well.

:-)